Monday, February 21, 2011

The Beginning

So this is my first ever blog.  I never thought anything I did would be important enough that people would want to read it, and it still might not be, but one thing I noticed during our corn maze this year was that people are interesting in farming and how we go about doing it. 

I thought for this first post I'd tell you a little about me.  I grew up around farming.  My uncle and granddaddy farmed, I lived a mile off the road with no neighbors except for my uncle's corn, wheat, soybeans, and tobacco.  While I grew up in a rural community surrounded by farmland, I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I'd have an active part in it.  I went to ECU (pirate nation!) and got a degree in history.  I had my own plans.  Enter The Husband.  I chose him over my plans and didn't go the academic route.  Instead after graduation I came home and got a job.  We had The Boy.  Then the second best thing that has ever happened to me (with The Boy being the first) happened.  I got laid off.

One thing I learned about myself was that I didn't like working a 8-5 job.  I didn't like sitting at a computer all day making someone else rich, while I had to watch everything I did for fear I'd get fired.  I like being creative and being able to do my thing my way.  I like the idea that what I am doing is helping someone somewhere, not just lining the pockets of the folks I work for.  So when The Husband decided he wanted to go with one of his crazy ideas (there was a time he seriously talked about farm-raised fish, thank God cooler heads prevailed) and raise strawberries, I found the opportunity I'd been looking for.  It expanded when we were able to buy his family farm and start our corn maze.

So that's pretty much how I got involved in this project.  I'm a historian turned farmer who is still trying to find her way.  I'm an accountant, manager, drink deliverer, part runner, berry hauler, IT department, you name it I do it.  I'm the Berry Girl.   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment