Saturday, August 10, 2013

Insert Title Here

I apologize ahead of time for the title.  This is kinda a hodgepodge post, as all of mine have been lately due to procrastination, and I didn't really have a great category for it.  

So...it's raining, and my TV is not working (since for some reason it keeps cutting off every five seconds but only when connected to the satellite???), and The Husband is playing fruit ninja on his phone (do not tell him I told you), so why not blog since I haven't done it in two months?  Sounds like a plan.

We've had a busy two weeks on the farm.  We planted the corn maze, the kids maze, the haunted maze, and pumpkins (better late than never).  Still not sure how the pumpkins are going to work out with the patch.  We may have already cut pumpkins in a patch of pumpkin vines.  I know, I know, it's not the same but we had rain when we needed to plant them and then when it cut off the wheat had to get out and other crops had to be planted and it was the last thing on the totem pole.  Whatever we have, it will be hands down better than last year I promise!

The Husband hard at work planting the corn maze (notice how the row marker is missing it's blade?  Epic Fail.)

Baby Maze

You can barely see the kids maze, it's the lighter color green that is running horizontally all the way up to where I'm taking the bad picture.  The rows going vertical to the shot is the corn maze.
We have three weeks left of the CSA.  Again, more problems here because of the rain.  Most of what we planted drowned, and most of what everyone else planted drowned.  So every Tues or Wed morning we get up (at 5 am, and The Husband always says 'do you think our members appreciate this?' and I say 'No, because they don't know we do it', and yes, it's the whole family, me, The Husband, The Boy [5] and The Girl [7 mo].  But...sometimes, we eat at the restaurant there and that makes it all worth it!) and go to the Farmers Market and see what the local farmers bring to sell and decide what we're going to get to put in the boxes.  I feel like we've had an abundance of peppers and peaches.  Sorry!  We really do try to provide a variety but like I said, this year has just not been the year for us.  It was so cold for so long, then so rainy for so long, and until tonight we haven't been able to beg a drop.  It's been at least two weeks if not three that we've had rain on our farm.  Our new motto is be careful what you wish for!

I'm so excited that I'm already booking groups and parties at the maze.  Every year people start earlier and earlier and I am so glad to see it.  One idea I'm super excited about is our 1st Annual Scarecrow Contest (click here for a link to the flyer and entry form).  When I was a kid I was in 4-H and girl scouts and my church youth group where we were always doing service projects to help our community.  The idea of service really stuck with me, and now that I have a platform to give back I want to do it.  One way we're going at it this year is with our contest.  If you are a part of a non-profit group and are tired of selling crap to make money, make a scarecrow instead and bring it to the farm.  All season we'll have people voting on them, and at the pumpkin festival Oct. 26 (another new idea!) we'll announce the winner and give them a cash prize.  $100 for first place, $50 for second, $25 for third, and $25 for staff favorite.  So please, please pass the word around and lets see how many Scarecrows we can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment